Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Another Celery Dyeing Experiment

Last week I shared our colour experiment using Skittle candies.
It didn't work as well as I had hoped so we cleaned out the Skittle jars
and refilled each jar with coloured water.
Within a day colour had seeped up into the celery.

Yellow was the only colour that either didn't work 
or we just couldn't see it because of the colour of the leaves.

An extension we did was to take one romaine lettuce leaf,
split it in half, part way up
then insert each half into it's own jar of colour.
Above is yellow and red,
and this one is blue and red.
Within an hour the colour was working it's way up the stalk.
The next morning the red and yellow was very noticeable up the leaf.
It was surprising that we could really notice the yellow in the leaf
when we couldn't see it in the celery in our earlier experiment.
Unfortunately the other leaf had wilted and didn't work.
We may re-do it with a new fresher leaf.

No comments:

Post a Comment